Remote Desktop Connection
How to configure Linksys WRT54GP2 Vonage Wireless Router
WinXP Pro Remote Desktop Connection
REMOTE DESKTOP Not
in START, ALL PROGRAM MENUS?
click START, RUN, mstsc
CONNECT two computers with a cell phone and
internet connection -
set up the remote computer (laptop) to connect to
your ISP address from
http://www.whatismyip.com/ or Step 3 or your DynDNS host address.
If you use WINDOWS FIREWALL check the exceptions:
Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions, BE SURE
WINDOWS FIREWALL is CHECKED
- be sure your ZONE ALARM FIREWALL is configured to allow access to the remote
FOR LOCAL COMPUTERS at home (To allow only certain
computers from accessing I DID NOT DO THIS) :
2. Go to each remote computer and do START, RUN, COMMAND,
IPCONFIG...get the remote computer's IP address and then:
3. Go to Zone Alarm, FIREWALL, ZONES, ADD IP ADDRESS and
enter each IP address.
I DID THIS - FOR for all
Go to ZONE ALARM, Firewall, MAIN, set Internet Security
Zone to MEDIUM. This will allow REMOTE DESKTOP
Configure HOST Desktop (Not the
On Desktop computer to be controlled -
Right click on "My Computer" and select
Properties. Tap the Remote tab and click on the
Remote Assistance "Advanced" button.
Make sure the "Allow this computer to be controlled
remotely" checkbox is CHECKED
||Open Control Panel click Add
or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove
||Click Internet Information Services,
and then click Details.
||In the Subcomponents of Internet
Information Services list, click World Wide
Web Service, and then click Details.
||In the Subcomponents
of World Wide Web Service list, select the Remote
Desktop Web Connection check box, and then
||In the Windows Components Wizard,
click Next. Click Finish when the
wizard has completed
To connect using Remote Desktop, you must have a user
account with a password on the DESKTOP COMPUTER. If you
don't yet have a password on your account,
create a password by opening Control Panel, and
clicking User Accounts. Click your account,
click Create a password, and follow the prompts.
||Right-click My Computer, and
||On the Remote tab, click the Allow
users to connect remotely to this computer
SET UP ROUTER TO ALLOW REMOTE REMOTE
1. The router is running -
Click START, RUN, CMD, IPCONFIG
3. Write down the IP ADDRESS (Which is the address of
your computer connected to the router)
4. Open webpage for your router WRT54GP2
by typing in the address
of your router which is the DEFAULT GATEWAY for example:
http://192.168.15.1/ - (Then save the page in your Links for future
If router will NOT LET YOU open that
webpage - and you have pressed the router's reset
You must log in with user name admin and password admin
5. Click APPLICATIONS
& GAMING, PORT TRIGGERING and be sure that Port 3389
is NOT entered there at all.
6. Now click APPLICATIONS & GAMING, DMZ, ENABLE, DMZ
HOST IP ADDRESS, enter the IP Address you wrote down in
7. Go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and copy your IP Number
9. On desktop computer click START, LOG OFF, then get
your USER NAME & PASSWORD (if any - recommended).
8. Run REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION and insert the ISP
number from step 7.
9. Insert USER NAME and PASSWORD from step 9.
9. Hit CONNECT.
CHECK TO SEE IF CONNECTION WORKS WITH A LOCAL LAPTOP
connected to the HOST DESKTOP with the SAME ISP
CONNECTION WHILE AT HOME
1. If RDC connects with the IP address
numbers of the DESKTOP but NOT the PUBLIC IP ADDRESS -
which is from, STEP 7, it means ROUTER is set wrong:
2. Set IP Address in the Router APPLICATIONS &
GAMING, DMZ screen = Desktop Command Prompt,
IPCONFIG, IP address = CONNECT
3. IF CONNECTS - this means ROUTER is configured
correctly and RDC is available worldwide.
4. Double check now with the PUBLIC IP ADDRESS or the DynDNS HOST NAME given to you.
5. Get your IP from DynDNSUpdater in my system tray or
5. If no connect - check that FIREWALL is
configured to allow Remote Desktop Connection. ZONE ALARM is set in
FIREWALL CONTROL, Zones, Add, now your own IP address there.
6. If no connect, start over at CONFIGURE HOST above.